The Conquest System in Star Wars the Old Republic is getting quite a large overhaul. Eric Musco, the Community Manager, posted a detailed rundown of the changes coming in Game Update 5.8 (March 13th) on the Forums.
Conquest is a system that allows individuals to earn points for doing various content in the game (objectives) in turn contributing to their Guilds overall score and compete with other Guilds to conquer various planets. Rewards are granted to individuals and Guilds who earn enough points each week.
They originally intended to just resolve the reward delivery issues they’ve been having but decided to give the whole Conquest System an update as well.
The most noticeable change, according to the write-up, will be the user interface. The entire UI has been reworked. The top bar (of the Mission Log) has been updated to separate your ‘Solo’ and ‘Guild’ Conquests from each other.
The Solo Tab will list:
- Current Conquest Objectives
- Personal progress towards your personal goal
The Guild Tab (called Guild invasions) will show:
- Planetary Leaderboards
- Guild Rewards
- NEW! Contribution Leaderboard within your Guild
- NEW! A ‘Current Conquerors’ button which lists what planets are being conquered by what Guild.
Conquest Objective Changes
There are a few changes coming to Conquest Objectives:
- Completing objectives will now award (in addition to Conquest Points):
- Experience points
- Command Experience
- Conquest point values for all objectives have been rebalanced across the board.
- In addition to one-time and repeatable, there are now also daily objectives.
- Some current objectives will change type with 5.8.
- The Invasion bonus for Conquest objectives has been removed.
- The Stronghold bonus still applies but has been changed. Each owned Stronghold counts for a 25% bonus, up to a max of 150%. Sorry to all you “Stronghold full of chairs” owners out there.
The way the bonus is calculated is each Stronghold is worth up to 25%, based on the number of rooms that are unlocked.
- For example, since the Umbara Stronghold is 3 rooms (base unlock + 2 expansions) each of those is worth roughly 8%. Simply divide the number of rooms by 25% to get an idea of what the value of each room is.
- The way the bonus is calculated is each Stronghold is worth up to 25%, based on the number of rooms that are unlocked.
- Weekly Conquests are no longer on a set schedule and will be randomly selected each week. The exception to this rule is that Conquests that coincide with recurring events will still be on a set schedule (such as the Gree event).
Guild Conquest Changes
They’ve made a couple of big changes to Guild Conquest.
Guild Reward Changes
Guild Rewards are no longer tied to the Conquest Leaderboards with the exception of the Guild that places first on a planet (as they will still receive the Conquest Title and planetary bonuses).
Categorising Planets – Invasion Targets
Every planet will fall into one of three designated Invasion Targets. These Targets will vary depending on planetary yield (minimum Conquest point thresholds). The thresholds determine the minimum amount of points a Guild has to earn to receive their Conquest Rewards. The higher the yield that harder it is for the guild to get the reward. But the higher the yield, the greater the reward.
|Planet 1||Planet 2||Planet 3|
|Low Point Threshold||Medium Point Threshold||High Point Threshold|
|Low Reward for Conquest Completion||Medium Reward for Conquest Completion||High Reward for Conquest Completion|
Why they’re making these changes:
We made this change to encourage more leaderboard competition among similarly sized Guilds, smaller Guilds going after smaller Yields, etc. Note that this is not a restriction, just a recommendation. If a larger Guild wants to go for lesser rewards in a smaller yield, they can, and the same is true of a smaller Guild trying to go for the highest yield.
Those who complete their personal Conquest each week will gain access to a new Conquest Vendor. It will be located on Fleet but, will only be visible for those who complete their Personal Conquest.
Items available on the Vendor include:
- Stronghold Decorations
Commander’s Compendium (boosts Companion instantly to 50 Influence).
- Cost – 4.25 million credits and 3 Dark Projects each.
- Cannot be used on temporary Companions (eg. Darth Marr).
- Cannot be used on Companions already at 50 Influence.
- Must be used outside a phased area.
Everyone is encouraged to let them know what they think about the changes. Personally, I think the changes look good and are a step in the right direction.
What do you think of the Conquest Changes? Do you think they’re good or that more could be done?